When it comes to the importance of business leaders and HR departments preparing for the year ahead and beyond, Innovation Keynote Speaker, Futurist, and Author, Robert Tucker, hit the nail on the head with this statement in a recent Forbes article:
“As much change as has taken place in the prior decade, I don’t believe we have grasped the extent of the changes ahead in the 2020s. Organizations and their leaders will rise or fall, prosper or be blindsided, based on their ability and willingness to anticipate and creatively respond to rapid change. I encourage my clients to “assault assumptions” and blow up the traditional human resource department’s short-sightedness and instead look, think and act ahead of the curve.”
With this in mind, we’ll look at how you can bring your workload forecasting into the 2020s with a modern approach and the right technology. Although workload forecasting has been strongly supported by software solutions for some time, some organizations still find themselves in the rut of using outdated systems.
If your organization is one of those – perhaps still trying to manage team forecasts in Excel – it’s time to relook your strategy and bring your workload forecasting into the 2020s.
Relying on outdated workload forecasting systems and processes may result in one, some, or all of the following drawbacks:
- Having multiple document versions
- Ending up with duplicate jobs
- Causing confusion as to who is already working on a particular project
- Having fluctuations in workload for one or two individuals
- Ending up with frustrated employees
- Breaking down team morale
- Wasting time and valuable resources
- Risking increased attrition
Fortunately, there’s no need for workload forecasting to be a laborious task that ultimately has a counterproductive effect on workflow and productivity levels. Thanks to advanced workload forecasting software, like vi’s viUTILIZE, you can manage workload forecasting with a modern edge, in line with today’s demands and tech-rich climate.
What exactly is workload forecasting software?
For a quick recap, before we move on, we’ll take a look at what workload forecasting software is, exactly. As we shared in one of our earlier blogs, workload forecasting software gives organizations the ability to accurately forecast anticipated work and allocate tasks to individuals based on a range of metrics: availability, experience, skills, and capabilities.
It gives managers complete visibility over how busy team members are to ease the process of scheduling new work or determining overall team capacity for additional projects. But the true value of workload forecasting rests in its ability to build a measure of intelligence into the management of your most important resource: your people.
What should you look for in workload forecasting software?
As a business leader wanting to ready your organization for the 2020s, you should make sure that your workload forecasting requirements can be met by a software solution that is future ready. The solution you choose should have the following capabilities, as we shared in another blog of ours a little while ago:
- Easy-to-use dashboards that provide an accurate view of available skills and team capacity at a glance. viUTILIZE provides color-coded reports that give an instant indication of current and forecasted workload;
- The ability to allocate work across teams, practice groups, and departments based on actual availability;
- Easy configuration to ensure practice groups and departments can customize the software to track availability according to their specific needs, whether by day, week, or month;
- The ability to add rich data about each team member to allow for improved visibility over certain characteristics, including academic qualifications, native languages, experience, demographics, and more; and
- An easy and intuitive interface that minimizes the amount of time professionals need to spend on updating their availability.
Ready your organization for the 2020s with vi
viUTILIZE is one of our people management software modules that plug into your existing software to modernize the way you manage workload scheduling. It puts you in the driver’s seat of scheduling people for upcoming projects and assignments.
This software streamlines the process of workload forecasting, preventing frustration, saving you time, and ultimately giving your organization a competitive edge as it embraces change with an innovative mindset in the 2020s.